- Position: Lead Engineer
- Location: Remote
- Contract type: B2B
Our client is building an intelligent code discovery platform that provides the best tools for developers to discover code in any form—and benefit through insights, recognition, and greater productivity. They are transforming code search to improve the practice of modern programming—using a graph-based approach drawing on data from the entire open source ecosystem. The mission is to build the world’s best code discovery engine. The company is well-funded by top investors in Silicon Valley, including the first investors of Google, Twitter, Zoom, LinkedIn, and Uber. The team has backgrounds from NASA, LinkedIn, Facebook, Amazon, AWS, Cisco and MIT, Harvard, Stanford, and Berkeley. The headquarters are in San Francisco, California. They are building a globally distributed, remote-first team.
We are seeking a full stack engineer to lead technology development on the frontier of code discovery and developer productivity. Your mission will be to guide and grow the engineering efforts to achieve our product goals. A successful applicant will be an engineer writing beautiful code, a leader capable of harnessing the organization and a person who’s experience can anticipate our future needs.
You will help build and grow the teams. You will interview candidates for all positions, and have the ability to judge if they would be a good fit, technically as well as culture wise. You will mentor the team and educate them on best practices. You will show by example, and not decree. You will foster an environment of learning and trust that allows us to succeed as an organization as well as individuals.
You will develop the product. As an engineer, you will have insights about our target audience. You will have familiarity with the tools the community uses, not just the ones you prefer. You will have a breadth of knowledge across ecosystems as we will be targeting many of them. You will be at the forefront of the trends in these ecosystems. You enjoy writing code, for production use. You will review code and provide actionable feedback.
You will influence decisions on frontend, backend, tooling, cloud services, machine learning, data science, product, hiring, design, UX. You will be an expert at only some of those. You will need to rapidly build expertise with others, while relying on your team.
- Backend, data fetching pipelines, tooling is built with Go.
- Frontend is built using TypeScript & Svelte.
- ML stack is built using Python & PyTorch.
- Cloud automation is built using Terraform.
- Data is primarily stored in PostgreSQL.
- Search engine is powered by OpenSearch.
- Services run on Google’s Cloud Platform.
- Serve in a “player-coach” role, both building and leading the engineering team
- Serve as an expert integrator to combine the frontend, backend & ML models into a cohesive whole
- Ensure team productivity remains high: fast builds, fast iteration, minimize environment setup pain
- Wear many hats and work with multiple components in different parts of the stack
- Drive test-driven development best practices and procedures
- Review code, mentor other engineers and support the data team
- Forecast, plan, and drive execution of infrastructure, application development, data, and models
- Attract, recruit and retain top engineering and scientific talent from your network
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in computer science/engineering, physics, mathematics or related technical field with equivalent practical experience
- 10+ years of professional software engineering experience
- Experience owning, shipping, and iterating on web products with a large user base
- Deep understanding of best practices in client-side web development and architecture
- Expertise with server side tooling & API design and development
- Ability to learn and evaluate new technologies quickly
- Backend and frontend expertise
- Expertise or proficiency with Go
- Significant experience with Python
- Experience deploying solutions in an Agile/DevOps CI/CD environment
- Experience with enterprise architecture and deployment on premises
- Experience with multiple cloud infrastructure and deployment systems
- Experience in platform development to solve complex business problems at scale
- Startup experience
Who Will Love This Job
The ideal candidate is a software engineer with a particular focus on delivering products by leading and leveraging their team. You get excited by the prospect of helping your team grow, and with that see your vision being executed. You have a passion for improving the developer experience, for every developer in the world.
What We Offer
You have the opportunity to join an early stage startup and have significant ownership of the company. You will work at the highest level and collaborate with world-class advisors and technical experts. Our team is growing rapidly and we hope you’ll grow with us, too.
- Competitive salary & equity packages
- Unlimited vacation and sick leave
- Strong remote work culture and esprit de corps