- Position: CTO / Chief Technology Officer
- Location: Remote
- Contract type: B2B
Our client is building an intelligent code discovery platform that provides the best tools for developers to discover code in any form—and benefit through contextual insights, recognition, and greater productivity. They are transforming code search to improve the practice of modern programming—using a graph-based approach drawing on data from the entire open source ecosystem. They are on a mission to build the world’s best code discovery engine. The company is funded by top investors in Silicon Valley, including the first investors of Google, Twitter, Zoom, LinkedIn, and Uber. The team has backgrounds from NASA, LinkedIn, Facebook, Amazon, AWS, Cisco and MIT, Harvard, Stanford, and Berkeley. The headquarters are in San Francisco, California. They are building a globally distributed, all-remote world class team.
We are seeking a Chief Technology Officer to lead technology development on the frontier of code discovery and developer productivity. Your mission will be to guide and grow the engineering efforts to achieve our product goals. A successful applicant will be an engineer writing beautiful code, a leader capable of harnessing the organization and a person whose experience can anticipate our future needs.
- You will help build and grow the teams. You will interview candidates for all positions, and have the ability to judge if they would be a good fit, technically as well as culture wise. You will mentor the team and educate them on best practices. You will show by example, and not decree. You will foster an environment of learning and trust that allows us to succeed as an organization as well as individuals.
- You will develop the product. As an engineer, you will have insights about our target audience. You will have familiarity with the tools the community uses, not just the ones you prefer. You will have a breadth of knowledge across ecosystems as we will be targeting many of them. You will be at the forefront of the trends in these ecosystems. You enjoy writing code, for production use. You will review code and provide actionable feedback.
- You will make or influence decisions on frontend, backend, tooling, cloud services, machine learning, data science, product, hiring, design, UX. You will be an expert at only some of those. You will need to rapidly build expertise with others, while relying on your team.
- You will set the roadmaps with the help of the team. You will leverage your expertise and experience to make plans that will push us as a team to deliver something we are proud of. You will break down high level goals into bite sized chunks, where each iteration can show progress both to ourselves and the world.
- You will connect the goals of the company, the business, the product and the team to create an environment where they all thrive. This includes budgeting and forecasting, headcount planning, recruiting and hiring.
Our backend, data fetching pipelines, tooling is built with Go
Our frontend is built using TypeScript & Svelte
Our ML stack is built using Python & PyTorch
Our cloud automation is built using Terraform
Our data is primarily stored in PostgreSQL.
Our search engine is powered by OpenSearch
Our services run on Google’s Cloud Platform
Serve in a “player-coach” role, both building and leading the engineering team
Code every day across the stack, including machine learning ops, devops and front/back end
Serve as an expert integrator to combine the frontend, backend & ML models into a cohesive whole
Be the owner of the shared components: the CI system, the internal RPC/API touch points, etc
Ensure team productivity remains high: fast builds, fast iteration, minimize environment setup pain
Wear many hats and work with multiple components in different parts of the stack
Drive test-driven development best practices and procedures
Review code, mentor other engineers and support the data team
Forecast, plan, and drive execution of infrastructure, application development, data, and models
Define and direct discovery, research and development
Attract, recruit and retain top engineering and scientific talent from your network
Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in computer science/engineering, physics, mathematics or related technical field with equivalent practical experience
10+ years of professional software engineering experience
Experience owning, shipping, and iterating on web products with a large user base
Deep understanding of best practices in client-side web development and architecture
Expertise with server side tooling & API design and development
Ability to learn and evaluate new technologies quickly
- Golang experience – desirable
Experience deploying solutions in an Agile/DevOps CI/CD environment
- Experience in a CTO or cofounder role
PhD in computer science, engineering or related field with equivalent practical experience
Experience with enterprise architecture and deployment on premises
Experience with multiple cloud infrastructure and deployment systems
Experience in platform development to solve complex business problems at scale
Who Will Love This Job
The ideal candidate is a software engineer with a particular focus on delivering products by leading and leveraging their team. You get excited by the prospect of helping your team grow, and with that see your vision being executed. You have a passion for improving the developer experience, for every developer in the world.
What We Offer
You have the opportunity to join an early stage startup and have significant ownership of the company. You will work at the highest level and collaborate with world-class advisors and technical experts. Our team is growing rapidly and we hope you’ll grow with us, too.
Competitive salary & equity packages
Unlimited vacation and sick leave
Strong remote work culture and esprit de corps